Comprehensive Plan Approval and PSD
The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) issues a written Comprehensive Plan Approval (CPA) once it has determined that the upgraded plant will comply with state and federal air quality regulations and state noise policy.
In addition, MassDEP administers the federal Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) permitting program, which ensures that the project complies with EPA New Source Review (NSR) regulations (as part of the 1977 Clean Air Act Amendments).
The MassDEP process includes a period of public review and comment. Information about the MassDEP public review meeting dates and locations are provided below and will be posted in local news publications.
Public invited to hearing, May 2017
MassDEP has recommended that MIT’s plan and permit application be approved and has issued a proposed CPA and a draft PSD permit for public comment. Both documents are available for public comment up until 5 PM on Tuesday, May 23, 2017.
MassDEP will hold a public hearing about the proposed CPA and draft PSD permit:
Monday, May 22, 2017
MIT Building 4-270 [map]
182 Memorial Drive (Rear)
Cambridge, MA 02139
Review the MassDEP Notice for complete details.
The draft documents can be viewed at the following locations:
- On the MassDEP website
- At MassDEP’s Northeast Regional Office located at 205B Lowell Street, Wilmington, MA during normal business hours of 8:45 AM to 5:00 PM by calling Edward Braczyk at (978) 694-3200
- At the Cambridge Public Library, Central Square Branch.
- Copies linked below
- MassDEP Air Plan Approval application process
- Major Comprehensive Plan Approval Application, submitted December 2015, revised May 2016 and December 2016 [CPA application document]
- Prevention of Significant Deterioration Application, submitted December 2015, revised May 2016 and December 2016 [PSD application document]
- MassDEP Cover Letter, issued April 2017
- Proposed Comprehensive Plan Approval (CPA), issued April 2017 [CPA document]
- Draft Prevention of Significant Deterioration permit, issued April 2017 [PSD document]
- MassDEP Draft PSD Permit Fact Sheet
- MassDEP Notice of Public Comment Period & Hearing, issued April 2017 for May 22 hearing